Nuclear Reactor :-
A nuclear reactor is a device used to initiate and control a self sustained nuclear chain reaction. Nuclear reactors are used at nuclear power plants for electricity generation an in nuclear marine propulsion.
- The core of reactor is the site of nuclear fission. It consists the fuel elements is suitably enriched uranium.
- The core contains a moderator to slow down the neutrons. The moderators commonly used are heavy water (D₂O) and graphite or barium oxide.
- The core is surrounded by a reflector to reduce leakage.
- The energy (heat) released in fission is continuously removed by a suitable coolant. For this air, water or CO₂ uses in the reactor. The coolant transfer heat to a working fluid which is turn may produce stream. The stream drives turbines and generates electricity.
- The reactor can be shut down by means of rods (made of cadmium) that have high absorption of neutrons.
- The whole assembly is shielded to check harmful radiation from coming out.